The village of Redwick lies within the boundaries of the City of Newport and is about 7 miles from city centre. The village has a population of about 200 and is regarded as an outstanding example of a preserved medieval nucleated village.
The Pub and the Church stand where South Row meets Church Row
The first reference to the village is given in the survey of Wentwood in 1270 and probably originates from around the late eleventh or twelfth century.
With several working farms in the immediate vicinity and a diverse range of buildings it has managed to retain a high degree of integrity as a working agricultural village with a vibrant community built around the Pub, the church and the village hall.
There is no Welsh name for the village.
A manor existed in the village for some time and was held by the Knovil family in 1317. It is referred to as Dennis Court and is recorded in historical documents right up to the late seventeenth century.
The Church was originally dedicated to St. Michael but is now known as St. Thomas. The building was damaged in the war as the Luftwaffe emptied their bombs after targeting Newport Docks.
The village contains a fine collection of documentary sources, including several detailed late medieval and post-medieval surveys. A plaque on the wall of the church commemorates the great tsunami or flood of 1606 when many thousands of people and animals died.
Bradney's 'History of Monmouthshire' states that the village is remarkable for the presence of English surnames and place names in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries presumably due to settlers from across the Bristol Channel. However, by the eighteenth century the village was mostly inhabited by residents with Welsh surnames.
The village is increasingly popular with walkers and cyclists and formed part of the 2018 Newport Wales Marathon course.
You can find more about Redwick on line by clicking the links below.
Wikipedia Entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwick,_Newport
Redwick Village Hall: https://redwickvillagehall.com/
Redwick History Group: https://www.redwickhistorygroup.co.uk/
The Mill House